Sunday, February 19, 2012

02/19 Sunday - paintings

My focus is the production of 18 or so prints right now but before I head out to the printshop, everday, I spend my some time working on the production of paintings. This is what I've been up to the last few mornings:

 "Where he is eaten" is a piece I developed a couple of summers ago. I kinda loved it, kinda thought it was what I wanted it to be but after I pulled it out of storage the other day I saw how raw it really is and knew exactly what I could do to make him come alive.

The colours are pushing the image and emotions ( his sadnes, his disappointment) out - it's popped.


"Un simple soldat" is based on a picture of a young Russian soldier during WWII. He's always felt a little off to me, not quite finished but having time away from him has given me the clarity to know what has to be done to make him a completed piece -  I smoothed out some spaces that have bothered me, added text and NOW I  painting I wanted.

If Google translation is correct the text should read:
       " Alone in my sorrow, alone in war, my heart does not feel my mother's heart"


"Madame" is a portrait of Madame Chiang Kai- shek a key figure in recent Chinese history. I've been a little obsessed with her face since I first saw it as a child.

Detail of "Madame" so far.


All the work posted is being created for my one man show coming up in Brooklyn this April. For further information on the show, my progress, my plans, how you can help and more  -follow me on Kickstarter:

No comments:

Post a Comment