Friday, February 10, 2012

02/10 - Catch up

I haven't been diligent about logging in my blog. Time seems to be flying by but I don't feel like I'm getting enough work done - winter wreaks havoc on my system and I end up spending half my time simply resting. I can get a few things done and then I have to spend the rest of the day laying down. Or, like so many days lately, I'm exhausted before I get my first cup of coffee down. So writing entries in my blog(s) is one thing that's just falling by the wayside and it shouldn't . This should be and will be a priority. So, 12 days after my last post and here we are again -

Here's some of the work I've been up to in the last two weeks:



Drying smaller canvas'

The workon "Negare" is coming to an end...finally. Boy, when things finally click it's such a relief!



The added reds are unusal for me but it makes the figure POP off the canvas.

The additional work done on "Punkt" helped the lips and face to soften. What isn't clear in this photo is the text written on the left hand side of the board.


You can get a better view of some of the text..... sort of.

Really glad I finally got to start this portrait - his eyes are closed, his face is sad and he appears to be closed away in his emotions.

Adding a set of hands to his shoulders helps to soften his sadness and, hopefully, convey not only his pain but also convey his choice to shut people out and away. 

I love the greens and teals but he won't stay this way - I will be adding more colour, of course, but I've put him aside to sit. My head needs time to work out the next few stages.

"Madame" is not  a folly - she's from a photo I've been thinking about for most of my life. She is Madame Chiang Kai-shek. I first saw her photo in my family's encyclopedia, a set of books I wasn't allowed to touch so I would sneak peaks. The books are from a small encyclopedia company and  full of the most fantastic and unusual ref material. I'm really glad to have it in my possession finally. 

Madame was a pivotal figure in WWII who's historic significance has been lost to time and our collective lack of interest:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,526008,00.html  

No comments:

Post a Comment